Monday, April 6, 2009

Elevators (the first in what I'm sure will become another series)

So they just "upgraded" the elevators leading from my floor up and out eventually to the main floor. The "voice" in the elevator (no it's not in my head but thanks for thinking I'm nuts) sounds totally alien. My new elevator hobby is making fun of the voice. The old voice at least sounded human...

Here's another thing...it makes me giggle when you see awkward behavior on elevators. For example, I was waiting for an elevator just a few minutes ago, ding, the door opens, and there is a gentleman about six inches from the door, thoroughly surprised that there is someone waiting for the elevator. Startled, he says a quick "sorry" and moves along...sorry for what? You were just standing too close to the door and made things really awkward for yourself. It made me chuckle. Sometime I want to try that just to be strange.

Here's my favorite thing, and no it has nothing to do with jumping, these elevators are too slow. We have 3 elevators in a row and sometimes when you press the button to go up (waiting for an elevator), 2 of them will be ready to go. If my coworker Kate is with me, that means an elevator race. Like a couple sixth grade girls, we each dash into our separate elevators and see who gets up or down first. Kate usually wins. Drat. On one occasion, we surprised a kid on the custodial staff by dashing out of the elevators laughing. Ha ha he thought we were crazy. Yeah pretty much.

My second favorite thing is riding up to prayer meeting. This little trip is on the elevator that scales all 26 floors, so we have a lot of territory to cover. This means that all kinds will be boarding this elevator, including the absolutely humorless (yes I believe quite a few of those work here). I sometimes cringe on these elevator rides because my most entertaining coworker has a habit of making barnyard noises or inappropriate comments about his non-hangover from the previous weekend. He makes sure the elevator is filled to capacity. Slightly embarrassing when the CEO's secretary is in the car. However, mostly good times and lots of laughs when we get off.

More to come, I'm sure. :)

1 comment:

Kate Nally said...

Do we really act like 6th grade girls when we elevator race?!! Eh, oh well, it's still fun :)