Sunday, January 24, 2010

High School Dances...How we asked, and answered...

On Facebook, a friend tagged me in a high school dance picture. Keep in mind, this is more than 10 years later, many life experiences later, many relationships and marriages later. She posted a note saying she was getting hate mail for tagging people. Ha ha I can imagine how that might be a problem. I didn’t mind it though. Those were good times, and I made a killer Maid Marion and Robin Hood costume for one of the dances. Good times.

Because of this, I thought back to the days we were more creative…more crazy. Remember when we’d use interesting ways of asking and answering for dances? Calling someone up and asking, oh no that will never do…it was great fun, though. Time to relive. :)

I asked: I bought a heart shaped puzzle, put it together and wrote on the back “I’ll fall to pieces if you don’t go to MORP (prom backwards, yeah weird, I know) with me!”

He answered: A note attached to a teddy bear saying “yes.” (Not especially creative, but I was thrilled none the less)


He asked: I got a jar of the freakin’ stickiest peanut butter I’ve ever seen, with hundreds of flat toothpics in it. Sure enough, fun little phrases like, “Not there yet!” and “Don’t you wonder…” oh yeah…and his name written all over these several hundred toothpicks. This is war…
I answered: Oh did I answer. I filled a gallon container with butter, honey and shelled peanuts. I had inconspicuously slit the shell to insert the letters spelling, “Honey, I’d butter nut say no.” He said he dumped it on the lawn and sprayed off the hundred or so peanuts to find my answer. Take that. }:-)



He asked: I had a piece of poster board put on my porch that read, “Bungee jumping is a thrill…” another one about 10 minutes later, “and so is rock climbing”…”but what I’d really like to do…” Then shows up a boy with a poster around his neck and a rose in his hand, “Is to take you to Homecoming!” Aww…cute points for you.

I answered: I chalked his driveway (complete with dead body outline) and decorated his whole yard with caution tape and I think a barricade was involved, I’m not sure… I wrote “I am just dying to go with you to Homecoming!” He had a very functional motion sensor light. I actually took my dad along to help. The light scared the crap out of me, and that was the first time my dad ever heard me swear…


He asked: Now this one was a little different. I was in a class, talking to a girl about a boy who was slipping notes in my locker, asking me to a dance…well, the guy kinda creeped me out. The notes in my locker hadn’t given away my identity yet. During class, the boy behind me passed up a note that said, “Will you go to the dance with me?” with a checkbox for yes and no.

I answered: I excitedly and with much relief checked yes on this paper belonging to a 3 year long crush. :D


I asked: I put the letters to my name inside some balloons and attached them to a box of donuts with a note: “Seminary Pref. Donut sound good?” Ha ha LAME!!!

He answered: He and his buddy made a very random and hilarious audio tape with various movie dialogues, all “redone” and finally at the end, the answer was yes. Probably one of the best answers ever.


I asked: Ok…this is the absolute NERDIEST of nerdy. Once upon a time, I was in a Calculus class. The teacher was a total (filter) and in addition to that, I had 2 other AP classes and had taken on too much my senior year…stupid. Anyway, cute boy in that class…So I knew his schedule, and I gave a note to each teacher with A CALCULUS DERIVITIVE PROBLEM to help him figure out who was asking him…oh yeah, and the first note said, “It will derive me crazy if you don’t go to MAG with me!” I should probably be cast on the show “The Big Bang Theory for this…

He answered: He decorated my house with airheads (hmmmm) and fireworks and a note, “Thundering YES!”


I asked: Oh man…I think I’m exposing way too much here. So, I have this…talent…where I can do a killer Elmo voice. The theme was Sesame Street. I couldn’t resist. Elmo and I did a little video, accompanied by a puzzle with my name on the back. Yeah…

He answered: How exactly do you “return” barricades?? My yard had several and a note that said “Nothing could STOP me from going to MORP with you!”


I asked: I gave him a jar of blue Jell-o with Swedish fish all through it with my name in the bottom, “Out of all the fish in the sea…” You know the rest. Fun sideline, I missed a step on the way off his porch and landed headlong on my face. HA ha! (Nelson laugh).

He answered: I had a pound of ground beef and a pack of Icebreakers gum and a note on my porch, “I have two things to say to you. One:I was to “Break the Ice” and accompany you to Spring Formal. Two: This is ground beef.” Um…cool!!!


I asked: My friend and I made our potential dates pillowcases with blue paint that said, “Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight; with you may, wish you might, go with me on Valentine’s Dance Night!” We used glow in the dark paint to spell out our names amongst the blue letters.

He answered: I received an envelope with a Jewel sheet music book in it. It said I should look through it for the answer…letters were circled. He he! This was not so high school…this happened within the past couple years. ;) Amazing how a trip back to high school can be sooo fun!


There you have it. Some of my favorites. Just a thought…it’s totally corny, but how fun would this be to resurrect for married date night?!

2 comments:

Sariah said...

That was really funny! I was quite the wallflower in high school so I can't say I have many similar experiences.

Janelle said...

Fun to read! Now I want to go back and look at our pictures to figure out who you asked and who asked you for some of these!

I truly can't remember the ways in which I was asked and the ways I answered besides a few.