Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Commentary on GQ's Worst Dressed and Provo

Oh you must have seen the Musical. Good for you! I'm glad you received the first discussions in acts 1, 2 and so on. I must admit that your ranking Provo as #15 as one of the Worst Dressed in America was interesting. I'm not necessarily disputing it, just evaluating. Let's recap:

Faraway in the foothills of Mormonia, there lives a band of eager young men of even-temper, impossibly smiley countenances, and just about the worst gosh-darn uniforms on the planet. We are gonna give them a break for the obvious—the undies are divinely ordained—and skip ahead to the big picture. When you are selling one hell of a far fetched story, billowing short-sleeved shirts, monster-width ties, and painfully-visible undershirts don't make things easier to swallow.—Andrew Richdale

Source: http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america#ixzz1SHWuJlPy

We might as well recap Salt Lake at #8 as well:
Deep in the heart of socks-with-sandals country, Salt Lakers still look psyched to serve as "ambassadors" for the 2002 Winter Games. It's an understated look: promotional fleece vest, active-wear turtleneck, ill-fitting generic jeans, plaster-of-Paris-grin concealing a lifetime of repression. You know how there was something creepy about that outdoorsy deacon with the soul patch next door? Yeah, that's the look.—Robert Fischer

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/fashion/201107/worst-dressed-cities-america#ixzz1SHXIKxls

Ok...THANK YOU for finally taking care of the socks and sandals. Let's go back to Provo. It's nice to see you've seen the MTC and all the missionaries there, which makes up a percentage of the population of Provo. Thanks for passing on delivering a full backlash on the undies, allthough the jab was noted. As for the "painfully noticable undershirts," I think I need to address this and the suble G-jab. The thing is, most Mormons don't give a crap about GQ (whose slogan at the top of their site is "Look Sharp, Live Smart." Ironic, huh? Our lighthearted little group of perma-smile people have better things to do than check your website to make sure our collar is popped, unpopped, popped, unpopped...you get the picture. Being dressed neatly is something we should all value though.

Here's an interesting point. Next time you're in Rome for a fashion show, I doubt you'll be ripping on the Pope for his uniform, the Pope is someone I'd respect. Next time you're in New York and spot an Orthodox Jew with the side curls, I doubt that will end up in print. I don't think you'd even touch on your buddy's yamaka at the next holiday party. I wouldn't touch on those either. It's none of my business and I respect it. Religious clothing should be left alone, and that's it. If you're looking to "Live Smart", respect should probably be one of those aspects you should pay attention to.

The point is if you think (and I don't know, I'm just guessing) that ripping on those things would be inappropriate, then why the Mormons' religious attire?

To lighten things up, let's discuss a couple of the notable benefits of these undies for everyone in plain sight:

*The grizzly bear in your office. Yes. You know. The one who wears a sheer dress shirt and really should have worn an undershirt to keep you from puking in your latte? You're liking us better already, arent you (although we really don't care if you like us).

*I remember seeing several times at certain stores and other places, women with their cheeks hanging out and all sorts of cellulite, which all women have to some degree...Our undies: Problem solved. I am guessing you can swallow looking at our knee shorts much easier than the prior description.

To summarize, thanks for pointing things out that broadway may have beat you to (shouldn't the Musical get some revenue from your website traffic). Did you know that the mission office in Manhattan has been flooded with requests for the REAL Book of Mormon? Despite your jab at religious attire, we, with the "Plaster of Paris Grin" (stated above) will move along and simply grin at your amusingly ignorant comments.

No comments: